Job Title: Scientist, Microbial Ecology
Employer: Upward Farms
Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Ph.D. in Microbial Ecology, Microbiology, Soil Science, Horticulture, Agronomy, or related field.
- Experience applying ecological principles to the study or management of microbial communities.
- Experience with a variety of microbiology and microbial ecology laboratory techniques.
- Experience with next-generation bioinformatics platforms (e.g. QIIME 2).
- Experience developing new protocols and SOPs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to a wide range of technical backgrounds.
- Question-driven, curious, open-minded.
- Authorized to work in the USA (i.e. US citizen, permanent resident, or current visa holder with Employment Authorization).
Description: Upward Farms designs and operates complete ecosystems of plants and fish in vertical farms, supplying these organic products to local grocers. We are currently expanding, opening a new cutting-edge, fully automated facility in Brooklyn. More and larger farms are in the works. Our mission is to heal the broken food system and reconnect eaters with flavorful and nutritious local food.
In this role, you will join the Agriculture and Manufacturing R&D (AMRD) team and collaborate with colleagues from across Engineering, Operations, and Quality Assurance. You will lead the development and execution of Upward Farms’ microbiome research agenda as well as collaborate on cross-disciplinary research in horticulture and aquaculture. You will be tasked with learning from our production system’s complex microbiome and leveraging that information to improve plant-microbe interactions to support the production of flavorful, nutritious food. As a member of AMRD, you will pursue science and technology-enabled solutions for ecological production systems so that Upward Farms can advance crop, ecology, and manufacturing outcomes.
Application and Further Information: To apply for this position, visit Upward Farms career page for the application: https://apply.workable.com/upwardfarms/j/BE8B1DE81C/
Expiration Date: n/a