Job Title: Summer Science Communications Intern
Employer: Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
Location: Cambridge, MA (remote)
- A bachelor's degree or higher
- Excellent writing and communications skills for a nontechnical audience
- A passion for communicating science to the public
- An ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects at once
- An enthusiasm for learning
Background in science, journalism, and/or multimedia production is a plus. The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
Description: Launched in 2004, the Broad is a biomedical research center located in Cambridge, MA. The institute is dedicated to improving human health by using genomics to advance our understanding of the biology and treatment of human disease, and to helping lay the groundwork for a new generation of therapies.
This paid internship, based in the Office of Communications, is designed to provide the intern with a comprehensive, mentored experience that touches on many of the major activities of a communications department in an academic research institution.
The intern will gain experience in a variety of science writing and communications approaches. In particular, the intern will have opportunities to:
- Research, report, and write news stories, features, Q&As, blog posts, and other content for the Broad Institute website, all geared toward a smart, curious lay audience.
- Develop new content for the Broad's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
- Collaborate with designers to develop infographics and other visual material.
- Develop, draft, and edit video scripts.
- Write for our internal newsletter, which is read weekly by more than 4,000 members of the Broad community.
By the end of the internship, the intern should have a strong portfolio of clips as well as established contacts within the Broad's research community, which includes leading scientists from MIT, Harvard, and Harvard-affiliated hospitals.
This full-time (40 hours/week) internship will run 12 weeks, starting in May or June 2021 and ending in August, and will pay a salary of $18/hour. The intern will work remotely, must be based in the US, and be willing to work East Coast business hours.
Application and Further Information:
Please send a cover letter, CV/resume, two or three writing samples targeted at a lay audience, and contact information for two references to Corie Lok (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Tom Ulrich (email@example.com) by February 28, 2021.
Expiration Date: February 28, 2021